OkCupid Syndrome In Seattle

Like Facebook, OKCupid slices and dices user data and several years ago they published a study on frequency of email responses between men and women, illustrated here: How often men & women reply to email, according to attractiveness of the sender: Men reply to women that are more and less

Like Facebook, OKCupid slices and dices user data and several years ago they published a study on frequency of email responses between men and women, illustrated here:


How often men & women reply to email, according to attractiveness of the sender:

Men reply to women that are more and less attractive than themselves, so responses are proportional to attractiveness.

Women reply mostly to men ranked in the top 10-20%.  Even unattractive women tend to ignore the other 80% of men.  So this is a "free market" where 80% of women hook up with only 20% of all men.

Is it delusional for 80% of women to only settle for the top 20%? That means 60% end up with no match. I know there's biological reasons but have they been skewed by online dating? Skewed towards a self-destructive outcome?




Since 2006, I've noticed the Seattle job market is similar. 80% of the companies will only settle for the top 10% of applicants. Quite often I'll get a rejection for a position, only to see it reposted a few hours or days later. So not only was I unsuitable but the other 100 applicants were tossed out, too. I've seen some of these jobs circulated for over a year.

In a market like Seattle, I seriously doubt there's much statistical difference in successive groups of applicants, as average response size is 100+ people. So is that delusional? It suggests that 70% of employers have a self-image that's incongruent with reality, which leads us to hubris and the illusion of virtue.

Plus there's a ton of transaction loss as the market is churned over and over again, wasting everyone's time for very little gain. You'd think that a supergenius somewhere would notice.




Is it from the self-selection of our information society; are people conditioned by software (and software companies) into a delusional state via their ego? Or maybe dysfunctional incentives, as dating and recruiting companies have a vested interest in continuous churn.

Recent Posts

Flickr Stream

Text Widget

Aliquam eget arcu nec nisl imperdiet semper mollis sit amet tortor. Ut ultrices pharetra urna id cursus. Aenean ligula dolor, mollis id eros id, hendrerit malesuada nisi. Suspendisse et pellentesque est. In lobortis velit nec diam sodales, vel gravida nibh porta. Curabitur faucibus lacus ac tellus faucibus posuere. Nam lobortis